Who is NQT Picnic for?
You are a soon-to-be teacher, student or a newbie teacher who wants to get prepared for the new academic year.
You would like a better understanding of how to prepare for your first day, week and month as a teacher!
You are a soon-to-be teacher who wants to gain confidence and competence in topics such as classroom management and lesson planning.
You want to develop a clear understanding of how to effectively prepare for all the students in front of you.
You are a soon-to-be teacher who wants to gain an insight into principal expectations of them in the job and in interview.
You want to be inspired, motivated and informed about your new role in the teaching profession, which is about to start!
By the end of this CPD event, you will:
- Have clear, practical guidance on how to prepare for your first day, week and month in your teaching role, instead of feeling like you are clueless on what you are supposed to do.
- Know how to build effective relationships with your students easily and quickly, instead of worrying about what to do.
- Have clear steps on how to plan engaging lesson seamlessly, instead of feeling like you are overwhelmed and unable to do it all.
- Know and understand your role in being a trauma-responsive teacher, instead of feeling unsure of what to do.
- Feel empowered to use the tools and resources shared in the virtual conference to prepare for your NQT Year, instead of feeling unsure.
- Be able to understand a principal’s perspective and expectations of NQTs, instead of being worried that you don’t understand what they want.
- Have confidence in your ability to be the best teacher you can be, instead of feeling like an imposter in the classroom!
Why have you created this event for NQTs?
We launched our pilot event for NQTs called NQT Fest in January 2021. It was such an uplifting, inspiring and motivating day to be part of and the feedback was phenomenal!
Since then, we’ve had over 300 teachers sign up to our NQT events with fantastic feedback.
So, forget Electric Picnic, we’re having our own mini-festival focused on teaching, learning and getting started as a teacher!
It is daunting when you start out as a teacher – they show you your classroom and send you your students – and then leave you alone!!
It can be nerve-wracking… We’ve been there!
NQT Picnic will settle those nerves and provide you with the tools to make the very best start you can!
We are passionate about professional development for teachers and have worked with over 10,000 teachers since 2017. As a teacher, you are the most important person in the classroom – you make the greatest impact on the students in front of you.
What is included?
NQT Picnic is a specially designed online event for NQTs.
This event aspires to inspire, motivate and share valuable insights to our newest teachers.
We explore topics such as:
- Essentials for an NQT Classroom
- Planning & Preparing for the first day, week and month
- Becoming a Trauma-Responsive Teacher
- Building Relationships with Students
- Principal Expectations
- Teacher Wellbeing
- The Practicalities of and Preparing for the NQT Year.
We hear from experts in education and teachers who have walked the road before you and are willing to share their experience.
We take the time to reflect on how far we have come and we set goals for the year ahead.
Join us for a morning of positivity and support in a virtual space full of like-minded teachers who are cheering each other on!
"Setting Up for Success in September", Ciara Lynch
Ciara is a 3rd Class Teacher in an Educate Together school. She is passionate about creating a positive, inclusive and welcoming classroom for all students throughout the school year”. Ciara manages the successful Instagram blog called @ciarasclassroom, which has thousands of global followers.
"Becoming a Trauma-Responsive Teacher", Aideen Flynn
Aideen Flynn, PG Dip Ed, MA, M-IAPTP, M-EAIP
has worked with children in educational settings for 20 years. She is now a child and adolescent psychotherapist specialising in play therapy now working in her own private practice in Co. Clare. From here she provides play therapy and creative psychotherapy to children and adolescents. Aideen designs and delivers workshops and trauma informed, evidence based trainings to parents and professionals nationwide.
Research informs us that over 50% of all children will have experienced a traumatic event by the
time they reach adulthood (Copeland, W.E. et al 2007). The impact of trauma often leaves the child
stuck in a survival loop, diminishing their capacity to regulate their emotions and behaviour. They no
longer feel safe. This dramatically reduces their capacity to access learning and the curriculum.
This talk will give an overview of the core principles of the course: From Trauma Reactive to Trauma
Responsive – Becoming a Trauma Responsive School
– A regulated “downstairs/emotional” brain means an accessible “upstairs/thinking” brain
– Connection heals the need for protection – The 5 minute dose of Connection
– Co-regulation before Self-regulation – The C.A.L.M. response to Dysregulation
– Boundaries as a signal of safety
"Principal Expectations of NQTs", Niamh Cullen
Niamh will focus on Teaching, Learning, Planning & Professionalism. Niamh is Principal of Grace Park Educate Together National School. Niamh trained as a mentor with the National Induction Programme for Teachers in 2007 and has mentored teachers in all school settings and classes. Niamh is an Associate with NIPT and facilitates induction workshops, Cluster Meetings and PST Training. Niamh was seconded to the Teaching Council. Here, she was directly involved in the development of the current Droichead Policy.
"Building Relationships with your Students", Nadine Lyons
Nadine is a highly motivated and enthusiastic education professional. She is dedicated to promoting a positive learning environment and often shares ideas with her thousands of followers on @muinteoirn on Instagram. She graduated first in her class with a First Class Honours Masters in Education (Primary Teaching), being the recipient of the Vere Foster Medal for achieving the highest marks in teaching practice and curriculum areas of education. Nadine is currently teaching in Dubai.
"The Panel Chats" with Niamh Cullen, Nadine Lyons & Adam Barrett
Sharing personal stories and insight, the panel will discuss the essentials, practicalities and preparing for the NQT Year.
Adam is a primary school teacher who qualified from Mary Immaculate College in 2019. He set up Mister Múinteoir in 2019 at the beginning of his NQT year and hasn’t looked back since! Adam regularly shares tips and collaborates on training webinars.
"5 Self-Care Practices for New Teachers", Fiona Forman
Fiona holds an M. Sc. in Applied Positive Psychology from the University of East London
Teaching is a career like no other, with so much reward and fulfilment, yet it’s also very demanding and challenging. Looking after our well-being has to be a priority, as the saying goes, self-care is not selfish, you can’t pour from an empty cup! The earlier in our careers we learn this, the better!
NQT Picnic Features:
- Online Conference from 10am to 2pm on Wednesday 27th July – accessible from your home – all you need is a cuppa, notebook, pen and a smile!
- Certified for Croke Park hours & CPD Record
- Expert Speakers on Special Education, Classroom Management, Lesson Planning & Wellbeing
- Teacher Panel share experience & advice on the NQT Classroom Essentials & Preparation
- Q & A / Discussion Opportunities
- Access to event talks and workshops for 2 weeks post-event.
- Downloadable Conference E-Booklet.
- Access to Private Teacher Online Sharing Area.
- Giveaway Competitions on the day!
Thank you for taking the time to check out NQT Picnic. Feel free to get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions you would like to ask. We love hearing from you and will do all that we can to support you!
NQT Picnic is Proudly Sponsored By
** Please note that this event is subject to changes. **
Thank you for taking the time to check out this event for NQTs.
Feel free to get in touch with us at email@example.com if you have any questions you would like to ask. We love hearing from you and will do all that we can to support you!