In 2014, a Millward Brown survey conducted found that over half of teachers in Ireland felt ‘continuously stressed’.
Hmm… not good.
There a range of complex reasons as to way this might be but we decided to explore some tried and tested methods of how schools made things easier for their teachers!
Daniella Lang, principal of Brimsdown Primary School in North London, surveyed her teaching staff in 2015 and found that 42% of them felt that they did not get the support they needed to do their jobs.
She decided to take action and make things easier for them – first, she focused on the little things:
- Moved a photocopier to improve access for all teachers.
- Altered the cleaning rota to ensure that there were always clean cups at breaktime.
- Created “pick and mix” CPD that allowed staff choose topics they were interested in,
- Facilitated a book and DVD swap for teachers.
And then, her school to on board something a bit more extreme:
- All pupils now had to mark their own work!
The school shifted to verbal feedback to make things easier for teachers. The impact has been great. Results have
Could any of these work in your school?
Let us know your thoughts!
Check out our Work Smarter, Be Happier CPD Summer course approved for EPV Days HERE.
This course focuses strategic decision-making for teachers, the prioritisation of high-quality learning strategies and smarter working practices.